header image

Umberto D

I noticed how everything is changing in the apartment except the corridors of Maria.

It must of sucked to have to hear all those sounds while having a fever. It’s almost sad that aside from everything else he seems to have no control over, Umberto couldn’t even control his alarm clock from ringing, and had to hide it under his blanket until the sound went away.

The dog pound is parallel with people’s feelings. Like dogs are “disposable,” so are human feelings.

Patterns I’ve noticed were: spraying of the ants with the water, the emphasis of ants (on the walls in the kitchen and in Umberto’s bed), the part on the wall by the stove filled with scratch marks made with matches by Maria, etc.

Maria looks out of the window at the cat on the roof, as if to show that the cat is free while she is trapped inside. She proceeds to go grind coffee. When she cries, we as the audience see her pain and wonders all that she could be going through. For a girl so young like her, it must be tough.

We see that they love each other, but have their own problems. When the nurse asked Umberto if that was his daughter, he was quick to nod while Maria was quick to say no. This seemed awkward and left a bit of resentment maybe, since they don’t seem to agree on their closeness. Umberto feels as if he’s the girl’s father, but we see that she doesn’t feel the same way. You would think that since both people are in tough situations, they would want to claim their “related” so they can feel closer, but this is not the case here.

I like the part where Umberto was “forced” to buy a cup in order to make change since he needed to pay the driver. The way he threw that cup away after was eye-catching. I couldn’t believe it, for someone in tough times like him, I didn’t think he would throw it away like that. He could have sold it. Or gave it to Maria. Or better yet, kept it for himself. But no.. he threw it on the ground. Why? BEATS ME.

We see the idea that there’s conflict after conflict.  But Life goes on.

I noticed the portrayal of power dynamics when we see Umberto’s friend on the bus, who appeared to be at a higher level. He is presented as a “higher” figure because Umberto was going to ask him for help with money, so that makes Umberto’s character diminishing and powerlessness compared to his friend.

I was very anxious to find out if Flike was okay. I thought maybe the dog would die. Therefore, Umberto would find no reason to live since he’d be so lonely, and by the looks of it.. he wouldn’t be able to live without his companion. And the movie would end there. But believe me, I was glad to see that Flike made it. That meant there was some hope that the movie could get better, and things will start turning around in the sense that if Flike is alright, everything will be alright.

I noticed the repetitive action of the landlord clearing her throat and turning off the light in the hallway. Could this be her routine every night after collecting money from people she lets “sleep and use” her rooms? Any ideas why she has to clear her throat the way she does? Is this even a significant repetition in the movie?

We don’t know what Umberto is going to do at the end of the movie, it’s unknown.. and left for us the viewers to decide.  Unsatisfying ending if you ask me.  Because if you have me think of the ending myself.. I’m going to assume the dog dies, and he will die of sadness.

~ by Avah Au-Yeung on October 14, 2011.